" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

June 9, 2010

Key Lime Cheesecake Dip

Today I was craving Key Lime Pie.  My quick fix was a Yoplait Light Key Lime Mousse yogurt cup (140 calories).  It did taste good, but it was a little on the sweet side, and the portion is small.  In a pinch it's a good choice.

But I like to experiment.  Here's what I came up with:

  • 2 ounces of fat free cream cheese (I used the Walmart store brand.)
  • 4 tablespoons of Lite Cool Whip (Don't substitute another brand--my mama told me not to use non-name brands in a recipe--that it is fine as a topping, but in a recipe-- might cause a fail.)
  • 2 teaspoons of lemon juice (I didn't have any lime.)
  • A bit of the zest of the lemon/lime 
  • 1 packet of sweetener ( sweetness of 2 teaspoons sugar--I used Sun Crystals..it's real Stevia in a carrier of sugar, 5 calories per packet, 1 gram of carb, I buy it at Walmart 50 pkt. box for $3 or 100 pkt box for $5
Mix the juice, zest, sweetener and cream cheese together--use a spoon..fat free cream cheese gets runny if it's over beaten.  Fold in the whipped topping.

The whole recipe is 105 calories, 8 grams protein, 2 grams of fat, 5 grams carb.

Use this  dip with fruit--strawberries would be nice (think strawberry lemonade). Or use graham cracker sticks.  Or do what I did--eat it with a spoon.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.