" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

June 14, 2010

Whats Your Limit?

Over the years I've gained weight, lost it and regained it.

My limit--the number at which I drew the line in the sand?  Fifty pounds overweight.

It's hard for me to fathom allowing oneself to become 100 pounds overweight.

But then I think--why 50?  Why not 25?  Or even 10?

Just think.  If ten pounds had been my line in the sand limit, how much easier would it  have been on me to lose it?

I think I've only realized the connection between my weight and my decisions these past few months.  There are consequences to the food choices I make.  How could I not 'get' that?  How can any of us not 'get' that?

I think all to often--myself included--we deceive ourselves.  We justify our overeating on the grounds that others get to eat whatever they want and so should we.  But we are foolish.

The reality is that 'others', those without weight issues are not eating whatever they want.  I know a woman who says she eats whatever she wants.  But she doesn't.  She is a very careful eater.  To those observing her she is indulging all the time.  But that is an illusion.  Like most people, she manages her weight.

I wish someone had been 'mean' enough to give me the cold hard truth.  But I understand why they didn't.  It's not popular to be the bearer of bad news.  So nice reigns, sits in the high seat, while many go to heck in a hand basket.

Don't make the mistake I did.  Don't deceive yourself.  Don't believe the lies you tell yourself.  Only you can decide what to eat and how much of it to eat.  And ultimately, you as well decide how much weight you will carry on your body.

And remember--there's no fool like an old fool.  I'm just getting in under the wire of wasted years, almost too late for it to matter.  Don't go there.  Please.  For your own sake.  Don't go there.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.