" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 20, 2008

Weight Management Update

Over the holidays I gained 2 pounds as I reported here. I'm very pleased that I am now within .2--that is two tenths of a pound---of my pre-holiday weight. Lately I've had a lot of "hungry" days. It may be due to the really cold weather we're having in middle TN and the lack of sunshine. I love gloomy winter days, having grown up in the Midwest and west where the seasonal changes were stark. However, having lived in the deep south since 1978 and gotten used to lots of sunshine and hot, hot, hot, weather I'm inclined to get a bit sluggish in these wintry spells and I desire more food it seems.

Staying indoors so much has led me to checking out lots of new websites and I've discovered some yummy new recipes that I plan to try soon. I'll share any that are especially good.

These really cold days find me with a steaming hot cup. Most recently it's been a green tea latte---the no brainer version. I'll leave you with it, although it is so simple you probably don't need a recipe or instructions from me.

Green Tea Latte
Put the kettle on to boil and while waiting measure into your cup 8 teaspoons of powdered skim milk and sweetener to taste---I use granular Splenda. Just as the water boils, remove and add 4 ounces of water to the milk powder and froth. I use my battery operated milk frother that I posted about here . Now add another 6 ounces of water and drop in one green tea bag. Let steep 2-3 minutes. Remove bag and enjoy.
************************************************
Note: If you don't have a frother or don't desire to have the foamy milk on top, add the water to the cup first, steep the tea, then add the powdered milk, sweetener, and additional water.
************************************************
Calorie info: 1/3 cup of skim milk powder makes 8 ounces of liquid milk and would be one milk serving. One third cup is 5 and 1/3 tablespoons, converted to teaspoons it is 16 teaspoons, a figure which is easier to break into fractional parts...hence I give the measure in teaspoons. The calorie count for 1/3 cup of skim milk powder is 80 calories, or 5 calories per teaspoon. Using the proportions I've given above my green tea latte is 40 calories and provides a half cup of milk.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.