" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 10, 2009

Summertime and the Livin' Is Easy

Where has the summer gone? Fall steadily approaches. The bugs are singing their fading arias. Their music is imperceptible unless your ears are attuned to the nuances that subtly fill the air. But you must have ears to hear. For many years I was not still--busyness ensued-- and I failed to notice the sounds of nature that change with the seasons.

School began today and with it, husband started a new job. After 20+ years with the same company, he said goodbye this past spring. He was caught in the downsizing, technically a victim of this economy. But he was given a severance which allowed us the time to relocate and find a new job and not use our emergency fund (you do have one of those, don't you?). Though he is working for considerably less money--to be specific, 80% less--he is excited at this turn of events. He believes he will enjoy this new chapter in our lives. And I think we will too. It is a decision: to be happy or to kick against the pricks? I don't like sore feet. While it has been difficult for me to regroup and face retirement far too soon--5 years too early to be exact-- I've submitted to our situation as being in the will of God...as part of our assigned --by Him-- curriculum. He holds tomorrow and he holds my hand. Could I be any safer?

We would be unable to exist on this new meager income had early retirement and a small pension not been an option. Thankfully it was. Now, we bide our time, looking forward to the day when we can draw our Social Security and increase our income. LOL. I laugh because I always envisioned that time of life as a decrease in income, a scaling back. Instead, our income will increase. LOL. Life is full of surprises isn't it?

On the weekend my daughter and I saw the movie "Julia and Julie"..or is it "Julie and Julia?"..ah details..they often escape me, even though I am a stickler in so many areas, always dotting my 'i's' and crossing my 't's'. The movie was a lot of fun and if it is true to life, Julia Child was a very 'up' happy person. We all should be as she. The thing I took away from the movie?--If you want your meat to brown, you must dry it. Remember the Frugal Gourmet? His motto was 'hot pan, cold oil, food won't stick". For nicely browned meat, it's Jeff and Julia to the rescue. Though I don't think Jeff had the bright happy life it appears Julia had. He had a dark side --based on the accounts I've read about him.

Weight loss is not in the forefront of my life or mind. I still retain the regained 13 pounds I worked so hard to lose over the past 2 years. C'est la vie! I'm facing 6 decades and beginning to believe I won't ever get a handle on my weight. But, you never know...life is full of surprises and I may surprise myself. If the swine flu is coming here, and I fall victim to it--God forbid--that may be the vehicle, the ride that gets me to a lower number on the scale. Hubby will be in contact with many children in his new employ and all the germs that attend, so the odds are high on the swine flu front. It's been reported that there have been 11 cases in my county recently.

So, I'm rambling...beats trying to sit down and actually write with a point in mind. No prep needed. But maybe harder on any who might be reading?

That's a wrap for now. You may just find that I'm posting more often now that hubby is back on the job and my life is back to my normal. Take care and stop by when you can. I continue to read your blogs.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.