" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

February 28, 2009

COFFEE AND CREAM DESSERT

This is one serving. It uses some fat free and sugar free products and it is surprisingly good. I’m not a fan of most engineered fat free foods and I use sugar free sparingly. But having a sweet tooth I had to come up with some desserts I can truly enjoy.

For this one, use a coffee mug. Way cute.

You’ll need these ingredients per serving.

One vanilla pudding cup, sugar free
Two tablespoons of fat free cream cheese
Four tablespoons of light Cool Whip
One serving of vanilla wafers, broken
One teaspoon of instant coffee plus water, or leftover coffee
Rum flavoring
A little milk
A little unsweetened cocoa powder
Lite Whipped cream in a can (the aerosol kind--it‘s prettier)

First off --I fold some vanilla flavoring into my Cool Whip before I use it--a tip I saw on Sandra Lee’s cooking show--the name escapes me.

In a small bowl mix the instant coffee with a tablespoon of water, a tablespoon of milk and about a half teaspoon of rum flavoring. To this add the broken vanilla wafers and toss. Let this sit to absorb the liquid while you mix up the rest. You can add a little more milk or water if it’s too dry--though you don’t want to add so much liquid that the cookies disintegrate…just enough to soften and flavor them.

In another bowl combine the cream cheese and pudding cup until it is smooth, then fold in the whipped topping.

To assemble, place half the cookie mixture in the coffee mug, top with half the pudding mixture. Repeat. Sprinkle this with the cocoa powder. Then top it with a single ring of whipped cream around the perimeter of the cup.

This will taste similar to Tiramisu. If you don’t like coffee, use Oreo cookies and milk, omitting the coffee and rum flavoring…and you’ll have Cookies and Milk Dessert. You might want to put it in a glass. Enjoy!




"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.