" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 11, 2008

Protein Helps

Just a quick update to let you know that eating more protein during the day has eliminated my need to snack at night. I feel proud, but it really has nothing to do with will power or me resisting temptation. I'm less hungry when I get adequate protein which also results in me eating less of the insulin raising foods that increase the appetite. I've been checking the scale and my weight is moving down. Also my clothes fit more loosely--the bloat is gone.

I want to interject to those of you who do Weight Watchers--who tells you that there are no forbidden foods--the reason many of the foods are no points or very low points is because they want to lead you to eating the foods that are lower glycemic, lower fat, lower calorie and higher in protein because those foods don't increase the appetite. They also promote fat burning (fat becomes the energy source) in your body.

So, you see, there is a method to their 'madness' of using points instead of calories. The points system along with the healthy eating habits they teach lead you to eating foods that will help you be most successful. Still though I prefer to follow my own plan and believe in the long term I will have more success.

It has been hard though for me to eat--as in chew-- enough animal sourced protein. I have to work hard to get in 60 grams--which seems to be the ideal minimum number for me, though according to other sources I should be getting more.

I've had to supplement my food with some protein shakes (whey based--I'm not supposed to use soy--oncologist orders) to reach that 60 gram goal. To stay in my calorie range I keep it plain.

To a cup of cold water and a couple of ice cubes I add the protein powder, some vanilla, and some sweetener. I can add some instant decaf coffee and some unsweetened cocoa powder too for a mocha shake, but it does require using more sweetener..and even calorie free sweeteners set off my sweet tooth.

Now--the trick is for me to not get slack and quit tracking my protein intake. After a few days it's too easy to slip back into the old ways, thinking I've got things under control, ignoring the knowledge I have and not using it to my aid.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.