" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

November 11, 2008

Savoury Eggs

I love Indian food and often prepare it for myself. One of my favorite meals is vegetable rice with egg raita. Today I'm sharing how to make the egg raita, although I hesitate to do so because it requires some specialty ingredients that may be hard to find locally. I got the recipe here: Quick Indian Cooking.

Here's what you'll need ingredient wise: eggs (1), plain yogurt (1/2 cup), cooking oil (1 teaspoon). Spices are: dried red chili peppers (one small piece) ,cumin seeds (1/8 teaspoon) , mustard seeds (1/8 teaspoon), turmeric ( a big pinch or two) and the two harder to find items: asafoetida--- (a good sprinkle) and fresh curry leaves (4 or 5 if they are smallish). I purchase these specialty ingredients at an Indian grocery. Note: amounts are approximate.

First step--hard cook an egg. (I do mine in the microwave.) Measure half a cup of plain yogurt into a serving dish. Cut the cooked egg in half and place in the center of the yogurt, allowing the yellow of the yolk to show--in other words, don't fully submerge the egg.

Now fix the seasoning.


Here you can see (above) my egg in yogurt and my seasonings set out. In the white jar is the asafoetida, the curry leaves on on the counter next to it, on the spoon is the turmeric, cumin and mustard seeds and a piece (small) of a dried red chili. In the mini-wok is a teaspoon of coconut oil gently heating.

When the oil is hot enough to sizzle the seeds, add the pepper, cumin and mustard seeds, turmeric and asafoetida. Be careful not to burn these--you need to stir them. When the seeds have sizzled throw in the curry leaves, give it a stir or two, sizzle the leaves. Now pour this over the egg/yogurt.

Here (above) you can see the finished dish. I enjoy this with vegetable rice. I'll share that recipe in the future.

This is a nice way to enjoy yogurt--a good change from fruit and grain combinations. Be careful if you make this. You just might find yourself craving it.






"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.