" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 3, 2008

YOU MADE HUMMUS, NOW WHAT?

Now what, as in what to do with that whole jar of tahini sitting in your fridge.......

Try this salad dressing recipe....it's an original. I got the idea from a bottle of Annie's Goddess salad dressing. Here goes....
-------------------------------------------------------
Mix in order given, in a bowl large enough to whisk the oil in at the end....or you can do it in a blender if you don't mind washing it. The amounts given will make about 4 tablespoons, so if you do make it in a blender you may want to double the recipe.

one tablespoon of cider vinegar

the juice from one wedge of lemon (about a tablespoon, maybe a little less)

2 teaspoons of sugar

soy sauce---the amount is "salty to taste preference"

onion powder--a good dash

garlic powder--a good dash

dried parsley-- a good pinch, crush it between your fingers as you add it

1 tablespoon of tahini


Now drizzle in slowly, whisking all the while so it will emulsify: one tablespoon of canola oil (if you use olive oil use a light flavored one---extra virgin will overpower flavor wise).

I'm serving this on some baby spinach leaves, and red bell pepper slices. Garbanzo beans would be a nice addition I think.

Also, I was thinking some nutritional yeast---about a teaspoon, may impart a good flavor to this dressing.

I left it out though because my husband may not like the taste. It can be an acquired taste. I learned to really like it in fruit smoothies.It renders a sort of meaty taste and is loaded with B vitamins. Special note---be sure to use nutritional yeast and not brewer's yeast which is bitter tasting.

I calculate this will have approximately 65 calories per tablespoon.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.