" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 24, 2006

A Conundrum

Recently, in the space of a week, my husband and I were approached on 3 separate occasions by beggars. The first needed fuel for his auto...we obliged him. The 2nd asked for food...again we obliged..the 3rd asked for money...him we did not oblige.

Thinking about those incidents I decided in the future not to give aid to those who asked. Then I read the words of Jesus: "Give to every man that asketh of thee..." Luke 6:30. I adjusted my thinking.

But then, Paul's words came to mind: "..if any would not work, neither should he eat" II Thessalonians 3: 10.

A contradiction? No. But discernment is required.

Simply put, the instruction is to help those who cannot help themselves; and to those who will not help themselves: we are to leave them to experience the consequence of their choices. Giving to them would circumvent the "whatsoever a man soweth that shall he also reap" principal (Galatians 6:7) and frustrate the mighty hand of God.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.