" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 30, 2012

IT'S SPRING!!

Spring is officially here. 

Time to get out and get some vitamin D.

For information as to the hours of the day when you will be able to get UVB's from the sun--which are necessary for your skin to make vitamin D--go to this link:  Sun or Moon Altitude/Azimuth Table.  Input your local information. then click 'compute table'. 

When the table loads, look in the column titled 'Altitude' and find the hours of the day when the number in that column is 50 or above.  Per Dr. Mercola's article on the web, that is when the UVB rays will be available in your region.

The referenced link gives worldwide information.  If you get the message 'no information available' try a larger town/city near you.

As to how long you need to say in the sun at 50 or above, you might want to google that information.  What I've read says 'until your skin is pink'.  For me, that takes about 20 minutes.

There are vitamin D supplements available, but getting your D from the sun is the best way.

Back in the day mothers always knew to take their babies for a stroll in their push carts or buggies so they could get some sun...and older children were encouraged to play OUTSIDE.

These days everyone seems to be deficient of vitamin D.  It's no wonder.

Having a garden and doing your own yard work not only provides exercise and food, it also provides that wonderful vitamin, D!  So, go get some D.

Reminder:  I'm not prescribing, I'm not a doctor.  Sun at your own risk. You can be sure I will be out there getting my dddddddd's. 

And remember--if you wear lotions with sun block your body won't be able to receive UVB's..they'll be blocked.  As well, many authorities say not to use soap on your skin for 48 hours after sunning, lest you interfere with the bodily process that turns sunshine into vitamin D.

That doesn't mean you can't bathe or shower.  Just don't use soap on your arms and legs.  But feel free to use it on the stinky parts, like your arm pits and groin.

TMI?  Sorry, but if you need vitamin D like I do, you also need this information.

Happy Spring!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.