" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 10, 2010

Twenty Pounds! (Cue the balloons and confetti!!)

As of today I've lost 20 pounds.  I began this new phase the middle of February.  I have celebrated Valentines, a birthday, an anniversary, Easter, Mother's day, and a 10 day vacation--all of which involved a lot of eating.  I think I've done jolly well, averaging about 4 pounds lost per month.

Having a lot of experience with this weight loss battle I have learned a thing or two each time I've fought the good fight.  This time is no different.

Creating a calorie deficit is the crux of any weight loss venture.  There are several approaches.  Mine, this time, has not included exercise in the typical sense.

Focused exercise is a good thing if you have the time or the inclination. I have the time but it is a hurdle I have not been able to conquer--due in part to some injury issues, but especially lack of inclination.  I prefer to get my exercise in my daily living.  It is doable, it is possible.  But more importantly it is enough.  I'm living proof, as are many others that you can lose weight without exercising vigorously.

As my doctor pointed out "Diet to lose weight, exercise for good health." 

I've created my calorie deficit by limiting my calorie intake.  But instead of just looking at the big picture, i.e. calories per day, I've focused on calories per meal and snack.

The success I've had with micro managing my calories has been phenomenal in my eyes.  It is much much easier to manage, seems less of a hurdle, and as well, should I blow it out of the water there's no having to begin again the next day--because I can begin again the next meal or snack because each is assigned a calorie allotment.

That, coupled with eating often--small meals and even smaller snacks, a total of 6 a day-- means I am eating constantly.  Hence if I am feeling a little hungry at the end of an eating segment I know in a short time I will 'get' to eat again.  None of this having a meal and then having to fight off hunger for several hours. Shorter hunger battles mean a greater chance of success.

Try this approach if you find yourself struggling with calorie counting and hunger.  Medifast works on a similar principal, though there is more than just eating small meals often in that program.

As well as eating often to assuage hunger, I choose wisely when it comes to food.  Protein and fiber are a mainstay in my eating.  And limiting fat to a small amount of good fat daily makes an impact as well.  My theory is that my body is forced to burn the stored fat when I don't feed it much fat in general.  And eating lower fat or no fat saves a lot of calories.

Eating what I am craving plays a huge significant role in hunger management too.  I've learned that the hard way.  If it is bacon you are craving, that is what you must eat.  Nothing else will satisfy if it is bacon you want.

Creating a calorie deficit is only one side of the coin though.  There is some head stuff, some stuff to be 'unlearned too.  Soon I'll share a bit about that.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.