" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 30, 2010

Rethinking The Avocado

I've avoided the avocado for years due to its high fat content. But did you know a half avocado has:
140 calories
13 g fat (sat fat is 2.5)
8 grams of carb
8 grams of fiber!!
3 grams protein
1 gram sugar
350 mg potassium
 Look at that fiber number!  Look at the amount of potassium!  And with 8 grams carbs and 8 grams fiber it's almost a wash in terms of carbs.   It's a pretty good deal given that the majority of the fat is good heart healthy fat.

I had a half avocado in my fridge and a half cucumber that needed using.  So here is the salad I came up with.  It is 2 side servings or one large serving.  You could serve it for one and add some tuna for a full meal in a bowl.


Cucumber Avocado Salad

Peel and cube one half cucumber.  Cube half an avocado.  Top with Humnut Sauce . Salt and Pepper to taste.

Notes:  When I don't have hummus on hand I omit it, use some olive juice, a very small amount of cider vinegar and a little additional water if needed to provide more moisture in the Humnut recipe--you're looking for a saucy consistency.  


If you've never used nutritional yeast and want to try it pick up some at a health food store that has bulk bins. You can purchase a small amount.  Different brands taste different, but they all taste somewhat cheesy.  Many vegans sprinkle it on most everything--like you would grated Parmesan cheese.  It is loaded with B vitamins, though the B12 vitamin is not present and must be added.  Check the label if you want to make sure it has B12.  Did you know 'they' say that anyone over the age of 50 needs to supplement with B due to the body's decreasing ability to process the B12 in the food we eat.


I like using the nutritional yeast because it makes a thick cheesy sauce that is very low in calories and high in nutrients.  You could substitute any favored salad dressing.  Some lemon and a drizzle of olive oil would be good.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.