" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 25, 2008

Rhoda Wasn't Fat, But I Think Mary May Have Had an Eating Disorder

This post at Maria's last diet has a lot of validity I think. And it's not new--this promotion by the media that "thin is where it's at--thin is in".

We've been watching The Mary Tyler Moore show on Hulu. I watched it back in the day but I'd never noticed how painfully thin MTM was...granted she was a diabetic, but she looked anorexic. And her friend/neighbor in the sitcom--Rhoda Morganstern--who is supposed to be the fat one--is not fat in the least. She is a perfect size. But her character is always bemoaning her weight and lamenting "Mary--how do you eat that and stay so thin?". Rhoda's "weight problem" was a recurring theme. But Rhoda wasn't fat!!!

Well...duh. Mary's not like the rest of us. I find it hard to believe she was that thin due to her diabetes. I've read she was a smoker, which depresses the appetite. (Many women smoke because it helps them stay thin.)

I wouldn't be surprised to find she had an eating disorder. She looks like she has an eating disorder. She is so thin--too thin in fact--that she looks like a concentration camp survivor to me. And yet, she was the standard "Rhoda" was measured by, and the rest of the viewing audience, myself included, likely measured themselves by "Mary". Sad, I think. I have to wonder if, in in order to draw attention away from her thinness, they planted the seed that Rhoda was fat.

I could kick myself now for comparing myself to those images that were neither real nor desirable. If you care to take a gander, check out The Mary Tyler Moore Show , Season 1, the first few episodes.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.