" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

May 21, 2008

Thinking Out Loud

When I have a toe that hurts I go to the doctor and it is covered under my medical insurance. But when I get a toothache and go to the dentist that is not covered. Why not?

When my gall bladder needs removed major medical covers that. When a tooth needs removed it doesn't. Why not?

When I have heart that needs repaired via bypass it is covered. But a root canal to fix my tooth is not. Why?

My teeth are part of my body just as my fingers and toes. Why are they excluded in all major medical insurance coverage?

The obvious answer is money. The insurance companies' major goal is to make money by denying claims and limiting coverage.

I have dental insurance but so many people don't and can't afford to have the teeth treated. Nothing I can think of is more painful than a toothache. Without the ability to properly chew our food we are unable to possibly eat the foods we need and properly prepare them for digestion (chewing is the first step).

Back in the day when you could get a tooth fixed for very little money it wasn't an issue. But today the cost can be exorbitant considering that we adults have 32 teeth in our head. At some point in time the wisdom teeth will most likely have to be removed. I can have an ingrown toenail removed and insurance covers it, but removing a painful tooth--nope.

Isn't it high time that teeth are considered a major medical expense like other body parts?
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.