" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

April 10, 2008

Update and Hiatus


S P R I N G

B R E A K

Right now I'm holding my own...still at ten pounds total loss to date....which is very good for me. Besides finding it nearly impossible to lose weight since 2005---the most I could manage was a pound or two--- I always immediately regained if I deterred in the slightest.

My game plan is to continue with the same plan I designed for myself. It is easy and livable for a lifetime. I'm expecting at some point soon to see a sizable drop in weight...maybe 2-3 pounds at one time which, compared to my half pound losses, is significant for me. I'm focusing on eating a lot of fresh vegetables and fruits. I've discovered that eating those in quantity, which are low calorie as well, are hugely satisfying and fill me up--they make me feel stuffed because they are so high in fiber.

Having previously been told fiber fills you up I hadn't found it to make much of a difference, but that was because I wasn't eating as much fiber as is necessary for the effect to make a difference. Just increasing fiber intake won't make a difference if your intake is low and you up it by a couple of fiber servings. To experience the difference you must eat around 8-10 servings of fruits and veggies a day.

It's easy to achieve that level if you have two servings of fruit in the a.m., two servings of veg and another fruit serving at lunch plus afternoon snack...and then in the evening have a large salad, providing 2 servings of veg and a predominantly vegetarian supper meal providing 3 servings of vegetables---which gives you a total of 10 veg/fruit servings. And might I add from a calorie standpoint, the calorie tally is going to be low and if you do Weight Watchers and count points, those will be low too because a serving of most fruits is a point, same for starchy veg and the rest of the veg are zero points. I guarantee you---you will be stuffed and even if you desire or crave other foods you just won't have room in your tummy for them without feeling miserable---which to me is no fun.....and irregularity issues will be resolved too, should they exist! Just be sure to focus of veg/fruit with a high water content and drink enough water/liquids to move things through.

Having increased the volume of my fruit/veg intake, and much of it raw or gently cooked, I find I crave them.....the crunch and chew is highly satisfying to me, a foodie.

As for the hiatus---I'm taking a posting break....which means I'll be reading your blogs as time permits, but I won't be posting anything new for a couple of weeks. Until then, stay the course, keep plugging away. YOU CAN DO IT!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I put the spam filter back in place for the comments because of late I'd gotten some comments that were simply no more than links to sites that have no relevance. I made the mistake of clicking on one of the links and got redirected to a site that started downloading something onto my computer...suspicious to me to say the least...darned annoying too.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.