" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 14, 2007

I Should Have Been Paying Attention



When?....that day...in kindergarten...or it might have been first or second grade. I told you I wasn't paying attention. Anyway, there was some talk of food groups. Can't remember if it was 4 or 5 groups...depends if they count fruits and vegetables as one group or two.

At any rate, there was talk of the food groups....meat, dairy, grain, fruit and vegetables. And that we should eat those and how much of those we should eat. But it must have went in one ear and out the other. It didn't make a huge impression. I certainly didn't go home and ask my mama to change up my lunch. I continued with my daily favorites: bologna on white bread (Wonder Bread---helps build strong bones....I was a child of the 1950's). Forget the mayonnaise, it was catsup for me. And dessert was without fail a Hostess chocolate cupcake. But forget the cake. I peeled back the top, ate it, then stuck my 5 year old finger in the hole and scooped out the whipped filling. The actual cake ended up in the trash. And my drink of choice was white milk...that was the only offering, except on Friday and then we were treated to chocolate. I usually had some plain potato chips in my lunch pail too.

So much for what I learned in school. Guess they should have sent a note home to my mother. She evidently didn't know how to properly feed me. But then it's always the mother who gets the blame, eh?

So I'd say the fault is squarely mine. If I had been listening, paying attention, perhaps I'd have grown up making better food choices and not developed my lifelong love affair with junk food, particularly anything chocolate.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.