" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 21, 2007

Cottage Cheese Pancakes

Yuk, you say. Why cottage cheese? Because it is a good source of protein...and, trust me, you won't know it is in there.

I remember being a kid in the 50's and 60's...whenever people dieted back then, before Atkins, they cut out bread, potatoes, and dessert. That was it for the most part...everything else, they ate. Cottage cheese was a mainstay, a staple of their diet. And a very good one I think. Today, cottage cheese gets a bad wrap. But we need to bring it back. Not only is it a good source of calcium, it is a great source of animal protein.

In doing some research as to why I was always hungry, I discovered I was not getting enough protein in my diet. I'd heard over the years not to be concerned about protein---that anyone living in the USA got plenty. But when I analyzed my diet based on carbs, fat and protein I was deficient...So I increased my protein intake, and voila, my appetite decreased. I blame the low fat, fat free phase on my low protein intake...when I cut the fat in my diet I increased the carbs and decreased the meat/dairy.

Here's the recipe for the pancakes..it is for one serving. Increase as needed.

COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES For One

1/4 cup self-rising flour or pancake mix
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 egg
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Water or milk to thin to desired consistency

Note: These are delicious with self-rising flour. I use a 9 grain pancake mix too, to boost the nutritional content. The sugar helps them to brown...and the amount of liquid is to preference...if you like thin pancakes, as I do, you'll use more...thick, less...also, I use water but you can use milk to make these richer.

Method.

In a bowl combine the flour/ pancake mix and the cottage cheese. Add the egg and mix well. Add the sugar and vanilla, mix. Then add the liquid. Fry in an oil sprayed non-stick skillet as you would any pancake.

On a final note I would add that in my research some say that combining vegetable to get complete proteins in the diet does not work...as in beans and corn, when eaten together providing the essential amino acids..."they" say the fiber in the food prevents our bodies from utilizing all of it, hence we don't get the benefit of a complete protein. I'm sure there are those who would argue the point. But "they" say get your protein from animal sources, and the recommendation is to also balance carbs and protein...for every 15 grams of carb you should get 7 grams of animal protein....I tried this and my carb cravings went away in addition to my constant hunger.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.