" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 18, 2007

Aloo Zuchhini Curry

Being in a weight loss mode, I was reading the Weight Watchers' (of which I am a lifetime member) message boards. The thread was snacks. One question was how those posting had points left for snacks...the questioner saying she only had 23 points per day.

A reply that hit home for me was in essence: learn to love your veggies...then you'll have lots of points for snacks...BINGO. I do love veggies...don't know why I didn't think of this myself, since I too am in the lowest allowable point range. I'm "cursed?" with being short...hence lower points are a necessity.

So I offer you here my Indian dish that is loaded with veggies and low in points.

ALOO ZUCCHINI CURRY FOR ONE

You will need these spices: turmeric, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and pepper.

Note: if you must buy several of these spices, do so at a store that sells them in bulk by weight...you can buy a small amount for a fraction of the price you'd spend at the grocery store. Also, the garam masala is available at any Indian grocery. If you don't live near one, you can mix equal parts of cinnamon, cloves, coriander...all in powdered form...and add a grating or pinch of nutmeg.

For the veg you will need half a small zucchini, washed, dried and quartered then sliced thickly in triangle shaped cubes; one small potato cooked in the microwave for 4 minutes, then peeled, and cubed; half a small tomato, diced; a couple tablespoons of diced onion.

You will also need a clove of garlic, sliced, and a small piece of ginger root thinly minced, 1 tsp oil, and 1 egg.

Begin with the egg....grease a small cereal bowl, and add the egg...beat with a fork and nuke for about 1 minute at 20% power. Cube the egg and set aside.

In a small non-stick skillet add the oil, 1/4 tsp cumin seed, and 1/4 tsp mustard seed. Let sizzle until mustard seeds pop. Then add the onions, garlic and ginger. Saute about 1 minute, then add the tomato and cook about 3 minutes until the oil separates from the mixture.

Now add about 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1 tsp coriander powder, 1/2 tsp cumin powder, and salt to taste. Add some water, about 3-4 T, the zucchini and the potatoes. Continue to fry and stir, wrapping the veg. in the spices . Add water a couple tablespoonfuls at a time as needed to keep from sticking. When zucchini is tender to your preference sprinkle in 1/4 tsp garam masala, add the egg, and stir to combine. Cook briefly--about another minute or so.

Remove from heat. It is ready to eat...a good accompaniment is plain yogurt and a steaming cup of spiced chai.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.