- one 3 oz box pineapple or lemon gelatin
- 2 cups liquid (water or pineapple juice and water to equal 2 cups)
- one 15 oz can crushed pineapple, drained ( I use the one in juice vs syrup)
- 2.5 cups of mini marshmallows
- one 8 oz carton Cool Whip thawed
- 4 oz grated sharp cheddar cheese
- pecans: optional, about 2 oz or more as desired.
In a saucepan drain pineapple and add enough water to equal 2 cups. Bring to a boil. Remove and add the marshmallows. Stir until they are melted. Add the drained pineapple and stir to mix.
Pour mixture into a large mixing bowl and place in the fridge to thicken. (It should be thick like egg whites.)
Once thickened remove, and fold in the Cool Whip. Make sure everything is completely blended. Be sure to fold gently so you don't deflate it. If you are using the pecans add those now.
Pour into a glass 9x13 dish. (if you use metal it needs to be non-reactive like stainless steel). Not necessary to grease the pan.
Place uncovered in the fridge and chill til set.
When it's set, spread with a thin layer of mayonnaise. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Put back in the fridge, covered, until your are ready to serve it. It will be firm enough to cut into squares.
Cook's notes: I have made this with sugar free gelatin and low fat Cool Whip( to make it lower in calories) with good results.