" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

May 3, 2012

Coconut Fish (Recipe at the End of the Post)

Have you tried Swai?  It's white fish.  I decided to try it since I refuse to buy  Tilapia that is farm raised in China---and that's all that is available in my locale.  My experience with things made in China is not so good. 

Swai is quite white, has no fishy smell, the boneless fillets are flat and the taste is similar to Tilapia.

The Swai label is required when this species of fish is sold in the U.S..  But it is really river catfish, sometimes called shark catfish or iridescent shark.  My store brand is farm raised--in a river--in Thailand.

What you will see on the label --along with Swaii --is pangasianodon hypophthalmus I thought it said hypothalamus--which is part of the brain-- and  I almost didn't buy it.  Yukky to be eating that. (When I was a kid fish was touted as brain food, but eating fish brain???? --that's what went through my fertile mind)  But I did buy it and it did taste good. 

I took the original recipe, which you can find here ( as well as posted below in the print form) and replaced the breadcrumbs--to make it gluten free-- with a combination of Parmesan cheese (the cheap kind that comes in a shaker, sits on the grocery store shelf unrefrigerated-) and some additional finely chopped coconut and nuts.  To get my coconut the same size as bread crumbs I put it in my blender on the grind cycle.

 Below is a copy of the recipe you will find at the above referenced link

* I was out of mustard and omitted it.  .
* I used  pecans, almonds, walnuts and peanuts for the mixed nuts in the recipe.
* Everyone really like this.


Ingredients:
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared brown mustard
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup chopped mixed nuts
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound whitefish fillets
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a medium baking dish.
2. In a small bowl, blend mayonnaise and brown mustard. In a medium bowl, mix dry bread crumbs, shredded coconut, chopped mixed nuts, sugar, salt, and cayenne pepper.
3. Dip fish in the mayonnaise mixture, then in the bread crumb mixture. Arrange coated fish fillets in the prepared baking dish.
4. Bake 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until fish is easily flaked with a fork.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 5/3/2012
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.