" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

February 12, 2011

New Love

 I ♥  smoothie--in a bowl!

Why? 

It tastes great.

It's an easy way to get 2-3 servings of fruit.

And if you eat it in a bowl versus drinking from a glass, it lasts 'forever'.  You'll have a heap big bowl of wonderfulness.

And you'll be stuffed.  And satisfy your sweet tooth at the same time.

It's like a fruit soup.  
 And it's cold like ice cream because I use frozen fruit or add some ice. 

And you can add toppings like granola, nuts, coconut--even Magic Shell topping, all of which makes it like dessert! Dessert that is GOOD for you.  That you can feel GOOD about eating.  And that tastes GOOD to boot

I like to throw in half a scoop of protein powder for whey protein (which staves off hunger) and some plain yogurt or milk for calcium as well as protein,

And I usually add some flax meal for fiber.  Or some chia seed, which I grind first due to diverticulosis.

And always--for the B vitamins (plus protein and fiber too) --my beloved nutritional yeast.

I've been eating it every day and my weight is at a new low by a few ounces.

And I feel great.

Maybe it's psychological.  Or maybe it's not.

No matter. 

The proof is in the pudding--or in this case in the fruit bowl.

*******************************
Note:  It's not necessary to add all of the above to your smoothie in a bowl.  Just use what you have on hand and see if you like it.  I always buy bananas, and I keep frozen fruit in my freezer--strawberries, blueberries, or peaches. Begin with one or two fruits, enough to equal two servings, add some liquid --like milk, yogurt and/or water--and blend away.  Usually the fruit is sweet enough for me, but you can add a little sweetener for taste if you desire.

I got the idea for smoothie in a bowl from KERF--i.e, Kath Eats blog.  I thought 'what's the big deal about eating it in a bowl?'.  Well, I found out. 

When I drink it down, I guzzle it.  Eating it with a spoon from a bowl takes longer and yields more pleasure and satisfaction--something any of us who are trying to lose weight need more of.

For pictures of smoothie in a bowl check out KERF.


"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.