" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 12, 2011

"Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't"


Some days I want nothing but milk chocolate after lunch.  Other days I opt for nutritionally healthier fare

Both options can fit into my weight loss plan.  Hint:  the key is calories--excess calories make you gain weight.



Here are two options that are fruit based-- I've been enjoying of late.


Date Nut Bites
  • remove pit from whole dates, then cut date in half
  • fill each half with a small amount of neufchatel cheese (this is like cream cheese)
  • dip in shredded coconut
  • top--press it in--with a nut piece,  walnut or almond
  • drizzle with a little chocolate Magic Shell ice cream topping
  • chill for a few minutes to harden the Magic Shell 
 
Raw Banana Split
  • peel one banana, cut in half, place on plate
  • top with diced dates
  • sprinkle with nut pieces and coconut
  • drizzle with chocolate Magic Shell ice cream topping--just a little
  • chill to harden the Magic Shell
Interesting note on Magic Shell  ice cream topping

The 'magic' that makes it harden when it is put on cold food is coconut oil.  Yep.  And coconut oil is a healthy  fat, similar to olive oil in that it is a medium chain fatty acid.

A lot of people declare it bad for us because of it's high saturated fat profile.

Whatever.  I'm not convinced that sat fat is the culprit we think it is.  To each his own.

 Magic Shell has some sunflower oil too, which keeps it liquid and pourable.  (Coconut oil is solid at normal room temperature.)  If your magic shell gets cold it will harden so that it won't pour.  If it does, set it in a vessel of hot water for a few minutes.

    "....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

    DISCLAIMER

    I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.