" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 4, 2011

Make Your Own Laundry Soap

Edit:  My concentrate got so thick overnight I don't think it will pour out of the jug.  I'll have to cut the top off and add the additional water for ease of use.  So--if you make this be sure and add all the water--which is  water to equal 5 gallons.

 Today I finally got around to using the supplies I'd gathered to make my own laundry soap.  Five gallons worth for the price of a bar of Zote soap, a cup of washing soda and a half cup of Mule Team Borax.

I was inspired to do this after my husband brought home a sample along with the recipe-- given to him by a coworker who has used it for years.  I thought why not--not much money to lose and a lot of money saved if I like it.

There are a lot of recipes on the net.  All similar.  Mine called for half a large bar (the large is 14 ounces) Zote soap, one cup washing soda (not the same as baking soda)  and half a cup of Mule Team Borax

You grate the bar of soap, then melt it in hot water.  Stir in the soda and borax mixing well to combine.  Put this is a 5 gallon bucket and add water to fill.  Use one half cup per load. 

I didn't have a 5 gallon bucket so I added enough water to make 2.5 gallons of concentrate.  I'll use a fourth cup per load.

Here's a video that shows the general process.


_____________________________________________
FYI:  I found the washing soda at my grocery store (Ingles) and the Mule Team Borax at Walmart.  I found the Zote bar soap at Kmart. For grating the soap I bought a grater-- to dedicate to soap making-- at the Dollar Tree.  I saved 3 one gallon water/milk jugs to pour it into after mixing in my bucket-- which I already owned (remember I only made 2.5 gallons instead of 5).

Also, once your soap is mixed and stored it's important to shake it before dispensing--it gels and you want to make sure it's well distributed.
_______________________________________

For a step by step photo blog post go to Gardenview Cottage.

 __________________________________________


And here's another recipe from The Duggar Family website.

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap- Front or top load machine- best value
4  Cups - hot tap water
1  Fels-Naptha soap bar
1 Cup - Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda*
½ Cup Borax
- Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
-Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
-Stir and fill a used, clean, laundry soap dispenser half full with soap and then fill rest of way with water. Shake before each use. (will gel)
-Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
-Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
-Top Load Machine- 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
-Front Load Machines- ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)
*Arm & Hammer "Super Washing Soda" - in some stores or may be purchased online here (at Meijer.com). Baking Soda will not work, nor will Arm & Hammer Detergent - It must be sodium carbonate!!

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.