" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 15, 2011

Let's All Go to the Lobby


When I was a little kid our family used to go to the drive in theater. Boy did I love that. Mom gave us our baths early, dressed us in our pj's--that'd be me and my baby brother. The she'd pop corn--enough to fill up a giant brown paper grocery sack. Dad would grab a six pack and off we'd go--early enough to get a good spot--while it was still day light, and so we kids could play down front on the swing set provided by the theater.

When the movie began, into the car we'd go, with dad adjusting the speaker which hung on the partially opened window. The voices sounded like they were coming from a tin bucket..and it could sound a bit scratchy if you turned it up too loud.  But what a thrill--so exciting.  Brother and I always enjoyed the cartoon which came first. Then we'd eat popcorn until we fell asleep.

Most of the movies we saw were westerns. My first non-western movie experience was at an indoor theater and it was a romance to boot. I still recall it to this day. Forever after I was hooked on romantic comedies. We were living in Montana, in a very small town and it was the dead of winter.  I'm not sure how we ended up at a romantic movie, what with dad being a die hard western fan.  But we did, and it was the beginning of my 'romance' with the picture show. I still remember that cold gray day and the experience of falling in love with 'falling in love'.  I was smitten.

There's just something about sitting in a darkened theater, with the expectation of a special evening that beats watching a movie at home all to pieces.  For at least 2 solid hours there are no interruptions, and it's just you and the dark and another world--and an ice cold soda, popcorn and a little chocolate don't hurt.

A couple of years ago I came across the movie that initiated my love of the movie theater and romantic comedies and I snatched it up.   Every time I watch it, the larger than life  memory and thrill returns.  For a couple of hours I am 9 years old in my spirit.

The name of that movie? Well- that's a story for another day.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.