" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 16, 2010

Robert Hall


Another favorite commercial here. I've remembered this one for decades.

Etched in my memory is Mom and Dad taking me to Robert Hall and buying me a dressy winter coat for school. I also got some new shoes that day. Red ones.

I was a 'fancy' girl'. But then, in those days girls were not permitted to wear pants to school. And most of the girls did dress up.  The boys were not allowed to wear jeans either.  And shirts had to have a collar and be tucked in.

When the winter weather was frightful you wore a snowsuit over your clothes. Many is the time I've been bound up so tightly in all those wrappings that I could barely put my arms down--think Randy, Ralphie's brother in A Christmas Story. 

Believe you me I ended up freezing all the more so. To stay warm you need 'loose' layers.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.