" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 19, 2010

LSMFT: Another Great Classic Christmas TV Commercial

Not sure what to get someone for Christmas?

When I was growing up everyone smoked.

Everyone who was anyone on TV smoked. The old movies are rife with it. It was glamorized--like alcohol--so it's no wonder there were so many smokers back in the day.

My parents smoked. I hated it. And I determined in my young heart I would never smoke.

When mom and dad would light up after every meal it gagged me to watch them put their ash in their plate. GAG.

I had chronic earaches as a child and I feel sure it was related to constantly breathing smoke. I smoked vicariously.

Today I can't be anywhere near cigarette smoke. I immediately get a sore throat.

I'm so thankful that nowadays we have laws that limit where people can smoke in public places.

And I'm thankful for the education programs that have informed the public of the dangers of smoking which has led to its decline.  It's a shame we don't target the dangers of alcohol and drugs with the same gusto.

I make no moral judgment on those who do choose to smoke, though I do think it is an expensive, harmful, wasteful habit that increases your risk of lung cancer.

BTW--LSMFT is short for "Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco".
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.