" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 29, 2010

Heading Into the New Year: Focus on fiber and cinnamon

If you'd like to get more fiber into your diet this upcoming year eat more beans.  They are a great source of fiber, cheap and good for you.

Yes they are carbohydrates, but complex.  Pass on the bread and eat  beans instead.

Fiber not only promotes regularity, it helps you fill full longer and it feeds the good bacteria in your gut.  And you want to feed that good bacteria--so it can control the bad bacteria population.


 As for cinnamon, it has several healthful benefits. Dr. Oz recommends it and I find him to be credible. When it comes to losing weight, 'they' say cinnamon helps by increasing metabolism.

And if you are diabetic or have insulin resistance issues, cinnamon has some proven benefits for those issues too.

In Asian cultures and Ayurveda  it is considered to be a warming spice.  And don't worry if it is Ceylon cinnamon or cassia.  Cassia is even higher in the beneficial elements than cinnamon per my research.

My goal is to consume a teaspoon of cinnamon every day.  The easiest way I find to ingest it is in a tisane.

Here's how I make mine.

CINNAMON GINGER TISANE

I bring some water to a boil.  While I wait on that I grate some fresh ginger into my cup--a good amount--probably a teaspoon or more-- I like it gingery and spicy.  To that I add a third teaspoon of cinnamon and a packet of stevia to sweeten it.  Then I add the water, about 10 ounces, and I let that steep, covered, for about 5 minutes.

If you don't like ginger omit it.  But be sure to allow the cinnamon to steep and soak up the water.  If need be, reheat it after steeping.  If you don't allow it to steep it will taste sharp instead of sweet.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.