" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

November 22, 2010

Rawhide and Pie



Another one of dad's favorite westerns. Just hearing the theme song brings back memories--good ones.

With the upcoming holidays everyone needs an easy to make delicious pie. Here is one of my favorites:

Hawaiian Pie

  • 2 baked pie crusts (I buy the frozen 2 pack shallow shells--bake according to package.)
  • 1 large can crushed pineapple (DO NOT DRAIN)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
  • 2 large bananas sliced
  • 1 cup of grated coconut--fresh or frozen (I have used the processed too with good results.)
  • 1 cup of chopped nuts (I like pecans but walnuts are good too.)
  • 1 large tub of Cool Whip or whipped cream if you prefer
 In a saucepan combine the sugar and flour.  Add the whole can of pineapple.  Stir together to mix well.  Heat/cook until thick.  Let cool.

Line your pie crusts with the sliced banana.  Sprinkle nuts over the bananas and coconut over the nuts.  Pour half of cooled pineapple filling over each pie.  Chill.  Cover each pie with half the whipped topping.
 
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.