" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

November 20, 2010

Protein Pumpkin Pancakes

Trust me--you won't know these have cottage cheese in them.  The pumpkin is perfect for fall, and now that there is an abundance at the store--and in your pantry too? ( I stocked up)--it's time to use some of it.

This is one serving.

In a bowl :
  • beat one whole egg with a fork (you could use two whites if you prefer)
  • add one fourth cup fat free cottage cheese, beat together
  • add one fourth cup self rising flour and 1 teaspoon of sugar (it helps the cakes to brown), mix well
  • add 2 heaping tablespoons of canned pumpkin, mix together
  • sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice, to taste--OR add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc to taste if you don't have the pie spice mix--and stir
  • add enough water for the consistency you desire--thick pancakes?..use less.  Thin pancakes?...use more
In a non stick skillet that has been liberally sprayed with cooking spray cook as you would any pancake.

When you are ready add your toppings.  I  spray them with a buttery spray,  then drizzle with  sugar free maple syrup and top with a few pieces of broken walnuts.  (You could add the nuts to the mix before cooking.)  I like to sprinkle mine with some additional cinnamon too.  (Dr. Oz says cinnamon boosts your metabolism and it helps lower blood sugar as well.)

For an extra protein boost I eat an egg on the side.

By themselves the pancakes yield 14 grams of protein from animal sources (eggs and cottage cheese).  The egg on the side adds another 7 grams.

This is a hearty breakfast that should keep you going full steam ahead until lunch time.  The calorie count comes in at 350 total if you use the sugar free syrup. 

This meal would constitute my breakfast and mid-morning snack.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.