" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

November 2, 2010

Only 43 Shopping Days Until Christmas

I miss the days when there was a nice down time between Halloween and Christmas. And when the Christmas decorations and mad rush didn't begin until we'd turned the page on the calendar to December.

We'd never have considered using a fake tree...and since a real tree wouldn't remain fresh very long--not even with daily watering--we were forced to delay the trimming of the tree which added to the anticipation, making the event a real treat when it finally arrived.

For quite a few years now when Christmas finally gets here I am sick to death of it. Sad I think.

That's the end result of commercializing what should be a holy day into a mega big bucks season.

I was at the super store this weekend perusing the Christmas section and overheard a five year old saying-- in disbelief-- 'they skipped Halloween too!". It tickled me. I imagine his mother had commented that they'd skipped Thanksgiving and because he didn't see any Halloween stuff he thought they'd skipped it as well. He could have rested easy though--it was all front and center in the store for the last minute shoppers hoping for a bargain or two hours before the big day.

While my blog is decorated for Christmas my home won't see any Christmas decor until the day after Thanksgiving at the earliest. In my world we follow the 'old' ways.

Should I find a great vintage nostalgic Thanksgiving background I will put it up.  Until then it's Christmas in my blog spot.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.