" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 14, 2010

A Rescue Day

After vacation or two or three days of 'high end' eating--by that I mean eating to the limit of my parameters--or when weight loss is slowing and I want to kick start things I have a special eating day--or two. 

My goal is to cut way back on fat and cut back on calories, without eating less food volume.  I don't want to go hungry or feel deprived, but I want to go to the low end--to change things up.

Remember, I'm already eating small, so you might think this would be hard, but it's really not.  Here's an example of what I eat on a rescue day.

Breakfast:
  • one serving fat free yogurt
  • one serving blueberries or strawberries 
  • a small sprinkle of crumbled crunchy cereal--like bran flakes
  • coffee with 2% milk
Mid-morning snack options:  (I'd eat one or the other, not both and only if I was hungry.)


Sweet:
  • 2 plain regular size brown rice cakes
  • spread with low calorie spread
  • sprinkled with cinnamon and calorie free sweetener
  • Iced green tea
Savory:
  • same as above except sprinkle the rice cakes with onion powder
Lunch:
  • 2 slices bread (50-70 calories per slice)
  • 2 slices fat free cheese
  • thin spread of reduced fat mayo 
  • half or one cup of V8 or tomato juice
  • iced green tea
Afternoon sweet:
  • 1 or 2 individual sugar free jello cups, cubed
  • add one sliced banana
  • add a blob of fat free Cool Whip
Supper :
  • 3-4 ounce boneless skinless chicken breast or other lean meat 
  • one very small baked potato, sweet or white with spray butter
  • 2 servings low carb veg, like green beans, zucchini, cabbage, broccoli
Evening snack or dessert:
a piece of fresh fruit in season
OR
Fat free Cool Whip Chocolate Mousse*

Coffee or hot tea with milk
 
*To one fourth tub of FF Cool Whip (56 grams) add one teaspoon cocoa powder

 

There you have it.  I don't go hungry and it always seems to result in getting the fat burning machine stoked.

If I do this a second day the menu changes.  That way I never feel bored or deprived.  Usually I only do this 2 days in a row.  When I make my food choices my goal is to eat protein, fiber and small amounts of carbs and very low fat at each meal and snack--and get in some healthy fruits and veg.


"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.