" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

September 22, 2010

Jamaican Iced Tea: Beautiful Elixir

At first taste I wasn't too crazy about it.  But sip after sip it sort of grew on me.  It's not your typical tea.  The flavors run deep with  fruity/ floral/ peppery currents. 

To make a half gallon you'll need:
  • 4 hibiscus tea bags
  • a knob of fresh ginger
  • 4 cups of grape juice
In a saucepan thinly slice an inch or so fresh ginger, add 5 cups of water and bring to boil.  Boil covered for about 15 minutes. 

Remove from heat and  add the tea bags.  Steep, covered,  at least half an hour. 

Add 4 cups of grape juice.  Chill.  Serve over ice, with a slice of orange on the glass.

You can adjust the ginger to taste, but is should have a dominant flavor.

I don't add any additional sweeterner, it tastes best only slightly sweet, but you can add some if you prefer.

For punch add an equal part of any lemon lime soda--like 7 up or Sierra Mist.

It's a beautiful color and a nice change of pace.

Some consider it healthy since hibiscus lowers blood pressure, ginger lowers cholesterol and concord grape juice is good for the heart.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.