" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 29, 2010

Sometimes Simple Is Best: Green Tea


I'm not a fan of plain green tea, and too often I've purchased the flavored ones and found them not to my liking either.

Sitting in my larder was a jar of whole green tea--the kind that looks like broken leaves with a twig thrown in now and then.

I'd read a blog post on how lovely green tea is with yuzu juice added.  The post described it and I plan to get some, next time I visit the big city and hit the Oriental market.

But I did have a fresh lemon.  

Now I've tried lemon flavored green tea bags--yuck.  Maybe it was the brand?

But brewing plain loose leaf green tea, chilling and adding fresh lemon.  Wow..totally does not taste like green tea and is very refreshing.

Here's how to make one quart.

In a small sauce pan add 4 cups of water and 4 teaspoons full leaf green tea.  Bring to a rolling boil.  

Remove from heat and allow to steep until liquid is cool enough to decant into a glass container.  Pour through a strainer as you decant to remove tea leaves.  Chill.

To serve, pour over ice, squeeze in the juice of one large wedge of lemon and sweeten if desired (I do)--don't skimp with the lemon. 

Yum.  Enjoy.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.