" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 27, 2010

Eat Bacon, Lose Weight

The secret  weapon is Oscar Mayer precooked thin sliced bacon.

Nuke 4 slices for 20 seconds.  Toast two pieces of bread.  Spray with a buttery spray like Parkay.  Add a slice of fat free cheese, top with the hot bacon.  The bacon will taste so good you will barely know you're eating the fat free stuff.

Eating the fat free stuff provides some additional protein--which helps with hunger and our body needs it too--without adding many calories.  And the bacon has some fat so you don't need more of it.

Calorie count is:

bread 100
bacon 70
cheese 30
spray negligble

I often eat this for breakfast when I need a break from goat cheese with honey and walnuts.  Once in awhile I even eat if for lunch.  The bacon makes a great BLT too.

This bacon cheese sandwich fits my 200 calories for breakfast criteria.  When snack time rolls around I'll be sure to get in a fruit/veg serving to round out things.

You may need more calories for breakfast than I do.

Perhaps you are much taller--I am short.

Perhaps you do more physical labor than I do--I mainly do housework.

Perhaps you must go several hours before getting a chance to eat again--I am free to eat whenever I please.

The point is this:  you must make your diet--the way you eat--fit you, fit your lifestyle--or you won't work it for long.  You might  work it for a week, a month, even a year-- possibly longer if you're really determined.  But if it's too much trouble or too difficult it'll wear you down and you'll toss it aside like yesterday's trash.

Committing to a way of eating that interferes with the way you live doesn't even make sense.  Few of us are willing or able to drastically change the way we live.  And we probably shouldn't unless it is seriously hurtful or damaging.  Why?  Because we will ultimately return to what we believe, what we know, what we want.

Any eating plan that says you must give up foods you love forever--give me a break.  It ain't gonna happen for most of us.  Granted, there will be a few souls who are transformed and stick it, but most of us are rather ordinary.  And I mean that in the best sense of the word.  I like ordinary.  An ordinary day is to me the best day to be alive.

So eat bacon, or whatever delights you.  That which delights you--also fills you!  We can drink water until our belly bulges--but we will not be filled.  Because we eat with all of our senses.  We must not only satisfy our stomach hunger, but our mouth and head as well.  Yea, even our soul. 

Desire plays a huge role in our appetite-- that which we hunger for.  Desire bacon?  Eat it. 
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.