" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

June 29, 2010

I Almost Ate the Whole Thing

I've always been a minor fan of goat cheese.  The draw for me is it's sort of exotic, bordering on gourmet-- but the game-y taste puts me off.  My favorite way to eat it is to roll it in walnuts, warm it slightly  and place  on top of a balsamic vinaigrette dressed green salad.  It adds the protein, lots of flavor and for only 70 calories an ounce with 6 grams of fat it's a better option than most cheeses.

While visiting TX we hit up the local Costco.  There I discovered a very large log of soft goat cheese.  It was gigantic in comparison to the small logs I normally buy.  And the price--a pittance in comparison.  It came home with us that day.

And when I spied my son's local raw honey I seized my chance to try a food pairing I'd seen on a French blog.

Slice the goat cheese--it will crumble somewhat, not a problem--and place it on a plate.  Then drizzle liberally with honey.  Sprinkle with walnut pieces.

What a delectable combination.  Unfortunately--or fortunately, depending on your perspective--I was the only one who really adored it.

Little by little, over the course of several days,  I ate almost the whole log of goat cheese all by my lonesome.

It's a good thing for me I don't have access to Costco and giant logs of goat cheese.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.