" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

May 20, 2010

Using Fat Free Products

Short and sweet here.  Cutting back on fat so my body will burn my stored fat.  Have been using fat free cheese slices and fat free cream cheese--see previous posts for uses.  Yesterday I purchased brand name cottage cheese, fat free.  Yum.

Breakstone brand, half cup has 60 calories, 0 fat, and 12 grams of protein.  I've eaten it as a dip for Italian Herb crackers, and today I used it as a side.  Added half a banana, a few pecans and a tiny drizzle of caramel sauce.  Delish.  Have plans to make cottage cheese pancakes, which I have previously posted including recipe.

A week or so ago I bought a quart jar of l gram per tablespoon mayonnaise--big disappointment.  BUT.  I did find a good use for it.  Used it in a broccoli slaw recipe I made up last night.

Here's the method:

Half a bag of cabbage slaw mix.  Half a head of broccoli, prepped and sliced in longish pieces, including the flowerettes, plus some diced sweet onion.  Dressed with this:

  • Equal parts of:  fat free yogurt, almost fat free mayo, and full fat mayo
  • Garlic powder
  • Onion powder
  • Dill weed (dried)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Even the husband, who despises fat free foods (eats a ton of fat and has perfect cholesterol without meds) enjoyed it.

The take away here?  Things change.  Products change.  Your taste buds change.  Maybe it's time for you to give fat free products a chance.  Not because fat is bad for you, but so that there is room for the good fat in your diet.

Note:  I have often used equal parts of full fat yogurt and full fat mayonnaise with good results.  The fat yield is still pretty high though.  The use of fat free yogurt and fat free mayo to replace 2/3 of the full fat mayo is a lower fat option.  For comparison:

  • full fat  mayo= 12 grams fat per T (100% fat)
  • 1/2 full + 1/2 fat free= 6 per T (50% fat)
  • 1/3 full +1/3 fat free + 1/3 fat free yogurt= 4 per T (33.3  fat)
Once I got my cholesterol down with meds I quit paying attention to fat percentages.  But of late I began to take note and I was eating, without realizing it, 50% or more calories from fat.  And this was not from the good fats like nuts, seeds, avocados, cold pressed oils.  Likely a big contributor to my inability to lose excess pounds.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.