" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

April 2, 2010

Product Review: Wheat Thins Fiber Selects

Image from the Nabisco website.

These were on sale this week 2 for $4. Now,  I love the Wheat Thins Flat Breads spread with Laughing Cow Light (4 flatbreads + 1 wedge LCL is 155 calories).  But when I noticed that the fiber selects have 5 grams of fiber in a serving--15 crackers for 120 calories --and a good ingredient list I decided it was a great time to try them.


I'm glad I did...they are very tasty alone as well as with the LCL.  And the extra fiber is a giant plus.  (2 flat-breads have less than one gram of fiber, so my serving of 4 would have less than 2 grams of fiber.)


Alternately I use reduced fat cream cheese seasoned with lots of garlic powder instead of the LCL--it saves a lot of cash with the cream cheese costing about $1.25 for 8 ounces while a box of LCL is 3 cents shy of $3 for 6 ounces ( 8 wedges ).


I enjoy the French Onion LCL too and I imagine I could add some dry french onion dip powder or some onion powder and a little powdered beef bouillon for a knock off with about the same calorie tally.


I use the reduced fat cream cheese  which is 35 calories for a half ounce.  LCL wedges are 5/8 ounce, so the reduced fat cream cheese is about 5 calories more than LCL.


One could combine some full fat cream cheese with some fat free cream cheese for 50 calories an ounce/25 calories a half ounce, thereby rendering  5/8 ounce about the same calories as the LCL.


Lots of choices for not a lot of calories or fat and some good fiber as well as taste satisfaction.


Note:  The WTFS come in two flavors--I purchased the one pictured above-- 'garden vegetable'.  Also, it's best to eat whole foods but having a couple of options--one sweet, one savory-- for those times when you are hungry for snack food will help you stay on course and not eat so much junk food.


Next post I'll tell you how to save some money on flavored water.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.