" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 7, 2010

What I Am Learning

"If at first you don't succeed, try try again".

Weight loss is hard.  Maintenance is even harder.

There is always something new to learn, something new to try, good examples to follow.

Cravings:  When I eat very few processed foods my cravings are almost non-existent.

Hunger:  When I eat plenty of fiber my stomach feels fuller faster and takes longer to empty.  It takes less food to fill me up and I don't feel empty very quickly, hence I am able to eat less food and less often.

As a picture is worth a thousand words, a good example is priceless.

I have discovered a good example...someone who has been and continues to be successful losing and keeping her weight off.  I have been reading this blog:  My Healthy Living Through Weight Control .  Here is what I have learned from this blogger:

  • Keep it simple.  She and her husband eat simple, easy to prepare foods.
  • I have been eating too much food and too much fat overall, hence too many calories.  This blogger is 7 inches taller than I am  and  I was eating twice what she eats in a day,  my exercise is nil while hers is routine--and I was expecting to lose weight.  Doh!
I set myself a goal of 4 weeks to try out the changes that I have incorporated into my eating.  Every change is something I can do 'forever' with minimal fuss, inconvenience or expense.  At the end of 4 weeks I will post my results. 

If you need some insight or a new dose of motivation, head over to My Healthy Living Through Weight Control and read this post: What About That Sandwich?  The blogger makes a lot of good, down to earth points.  That's what we need isn't it?--a down to earth approach?  For sure, it's  what I need .  You can read all your experts and understand the ins and outs of it all, but nothing beats simplicity and a  good old down to earth strategy that works and is workable.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.