" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

March 15, 2010

Asian Picnic Chicken

It's not picnic weather yet but this chicken is good any old time.  And easy to make with a short ingredient list.


You will need:

4-6 pieces of chicken: thighs or breast with skin removed
2 Tablespoons of ketchup
2 Tablespoons of firmly packed brown sugar
1 Tablespoon of soy sauce
Half a  Tablespoon of rice vinegar (I used regular cider vinegar)
half a teaspoon of onion powder
half a teaspoon of garlic powder

Place the prepped chicken in a baking dish.  Combine the rest of the ingredients and pour over the chicken.  Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 1.5 hours or until chicken is done, turning the chicken over after 45 minutes and basting occasionally.


I made this as stated and it was delicious.  Next time I'll add a few more spices to give it an Indian (as in India) twist or for a taste like Bourbon Chicken.

The thing I like about it is that it uses staples I have on hand...no need to buy BBQ sauce, etc.  Using the bone in chicken is cost friendly and removing the skin is calorie/health friendly.  The chicken was moist--without being wet, which I hate-- and very flavorful through and through..due to the lengthy cooking time I think.

Give it a try.  Sure beats frying chicken for a picnic doesn't it..though it's been years since I've done that.  Now I just hit KFC for a bucket.  But I sorely miss my mom's good old fried in a cast iron skillet chicken.  Even the colonel can't top that.  (P.S.  Mom is still alive, she just doesn't fry chicken anymore either!)


"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.