" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

January 26, 2010

Healthier Big Cookie

I have a sweet tooth. While I try to satisfy it with fruit, there are times when you just want chocolate. And while eating chocolate has some benefits, it’s not very filling and can be quite addictive. Try this instead and save the real chocolate, the good stuff, for special days.




In a deep cereal bowl with a fairly wide bottom measure 20 grams--which is a half serving-- of quick oats. Next add an egg white, and beat it into the oats. Then add a splash of milk. I don’t measure so I can’t be specific--it was probably two tablespoons--think loose brownie batter. Follow with some cocoa powder--about 2 heaping teaspoons, a dash of salt, a splash of vanilla, a packet of Splenda/ 2 teaspoons sugar/equivalent in your preferred sweetener and a big pinch of coconut. Stir well to combine.

Nuke this for one minute at 100% power and check it. If it still has a large wet area on top, put it back in for one minute at 50% power. Let stand to finish cooking. Eat. Enjoy.

The desired result is a dry--but not dried up/tough/leathery-- edible cookie that you can pick up out of the bowl and eat out of hand.


View from the side--it's pretty thick.



From a distance.

I found this to be very tasty, lots of chew factor and filling. It satisfied my chocolate craving but didn’t keep it going. Being a blend of whole grain, protein and the small amount of fat in the milk and coconut, it is a better choice than most processed foods. It is quick and inexpensive as well. And it requires no special foods--no protein powder or specialty ingredients. You probably have all you need to make this in your larder.

And f you don’t like coconut, replace it with a few nuts or some raisins. The coconut adds a lot of chew and also contains coconut oil which supposedly helps with weight loss.

The fat in coconut is a medium chain fatty acid with a profile similar to the fat in olive oil. It is oft maligned because of its saturated fat content, but I don't think the concern is warranted.



"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.