" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 2, 2009

Sausage Bean Stew


Here's a hardy recipe perfect for cool fall weather. I'd like to give credit for the recipe--I found it on the Internet--but I don't have the link. If this is your recipe leave me a comment so I can give you credit. I made this exactly as given and it was perfect. Husband loved it as much as I.

Ingredients:
--1 medium onion, chopped
--16 ounces light smoked (fully cooked) turkey sausage (like kielbasa), cut in 1/4" slices
--2 cloves garlic, minced
--14 ounces less/low sodium chicken broth
--2 tablespoons brown sugar
--2 tablespoons tomato paste
--1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
--1/2 teaspoon black pepper
--3/16 ounce cans cannellini/white beans, rinsed and drained
--1 bay leaf
--1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)


Method:

In a dutch oven coated with cooking spray, add onion and sausage; cook until browned. Add garlic; saute' 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, then add in everything else. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer at least 5 minutes, or as desired. Remove from heat; remove the bay leaf as well.

This yields about 8-1 cup servings with 205 calories per cup per the original website.

Note: the original recipe was topped with 3 ounces of bread crumbs and chopped parsley and baked until the bread crumbs browned. I skipped that extra step. Also, freeze the remaining tomato paste in dollops-- approximately a tablespoon each-- on a wax paper lined tray. When they are solid, place in a freezer bag for future uses. Cheaper than buying tomato paste in a tube.

Enjoy!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.