" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

February 19, 2009

NY Post Cartoon

I hated the disparaging cartoons about President Bush. And I don't like this chimpanzee cartoon any better.

My initial reaction to the mortally wounded chimp that had been killed by two policemen is that the chimp represents President Obama-- because of the caption above the cartoon. And I am appalled by it.

Upon reflection, I guess the case could be made that the point of the cartoon is that the stimulus package is so badly written that it was written, passed and signed by those with the mental capability of a monkey since the stimulus package was not written in its entirety by a single individual, and it must be passed by a multitude of people called Congress and finally signed by the President.

Because I don't know the author's intent I can't say what his point was. But in light of the historical references to the black race being a lower evolutionary form via Darwin's theory-- that man came from monkeys--it's a stretch for me to not think that the chimp represents our President.

I didn't vote for President Obama and I'm not a fan of the stimulus package. But I do find the cartoon abhorrent and in bad taste.

Perhaps people of later generations are not familiar with the "blacks are a lower form closer to monkeys" garbage..I don't know.

But what I do know is that we all need to be more circumspect. There are enough other ways to make our case against a thing without having to resort to methods that leave question as to their intent .

If you are a racist then have the courage to own it. And if you're not, make sure there's no doubt in the minds of others.

I will speak out against the President if I disagree with him. I won't be silent because he is black and I fear people will think I am being racist. But I also will not be silent when a person or group I disagree with is (in my opinion) wronged.

Lastly, let me say. If I were black I would solidly reject Darwin's theory of evolution. Man did not evolve from monkeys and the black race is not a lower evolutionary form. We all --every race--was created in the image of God. And we are all endowed with certain inalienable rights. And these truths are self evident, and the Bill of Rights which is part of our Constitutions thus declares.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.