" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

December 19, 2008

Glad Tidings


I haven't had much time to post lately. And now we're off for a few days. I want to wish each and every one the Merriest Christmas.

In spite of the doom and gloom this holiday season, with our economy in a mess and only God knows what else, we can trust in His goodness, His love and His care.

I've seen many people standing on the corners with signs, in need of help. One man held up a sign that said "rent/gas". I thought to give him $20, but didn't--now I regret it. Twenty dollars wouldn't have solved his problems, but it would have put fuel in his car tank and maybe given him enough courage to get through another day, hoping and believing things will get better. At the very least he'd have known one person cared.

Jesus Christ, the son of God and the promised Messiah, came down to earth--became flesh--a babe in a manager. He grew in stature and made his dwelling among us, full of grace and truth.

I celebrate that birth each Christmas. For that babe, in the fullness of time, purchased my salvation and the salvation of the whole human race. And He offers that salvation as a free gift to any who will "call upon his name".

As we enjoy and celebrate the season with loved ones, good food, good friends, and good gifts, let's be mindful of the reason for the season. And those of us who are blessed, let's remember to share what we can with those who are less fortunate-- a kind word, a thoughtful gesture, a smile. Those can go a long way in making things merry.

I love putting money in the Salvation Army kettles every Christmas--I can't pass by one without putting something in. And I feel better for having done it. It is a delight and joy to hear the bells and see the ringers who stand there in the cold, dedicated to their task, believing it is a worthy one.

Be back soon....
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.