" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 18, 2008

Catching Up

Just checking in from fall break for a brief update. I’m enjoying the respite and the season….watching lots of fun but not too scary stuff--like It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Scared Stupid with Earnest, Charlie Chan in Shanghai Cobra, Jurassic Park--always scary-- and later tonight Signs. I don’t dare watch The Grudge, which I found to be disturbingly scary. The first time I saw it I couldn’t get it out of my head and that sound, which I remember making as a child, lost its innocence.

I’m getting my mojo back. For several weeks my motivation was at an all time low, though I knew better than to throw in the towel. Lyn’s "Habit a Week Challenge" has been a big help. Last week it was to drink more water and this week it’s “MOVE!”. And that, I’m finding, is a huge motivator.

Two days now, in a row, I’ve gone out and made myself move for 30 minutes--and I feel soooooo much better. Riding the recumbent bike doesn’t bother my Achilles tendon, so there’s really no excuse…and I’m finding I’m also able to walk again with less pain. Hopefully the tendon is healing.

Focusing on these 2 habits…drinking water and moving is enough for now. I’m learning that if I put too much pressure on myself when my motivation is lacking I end up feeling like a failure and become one. Changing things up a bit--to habits I can actually accomplish--- makes me feel like a success and is empowering. Moving in the right direction is so much better than stagnating. It breeds hope.

Now, for the other thing I’m doing that may be helping in the appetite department: Metamucil. I read this web page and decided to give the fiber tip a try….figured it can’t hurt and may help. And, since my doctor already suggested I used Metamucil for high cholesterol and IBS I’m following doctor’s orders.

I’m using the Metamucil once per day just prior to the time period I find myself more likely to overeat. And I’m also adding some natural cider vinegar to my Metamucil cocktail, since I read that vinegar slows down digestion and aids in preventing insulin spikes. I can’t remember the title of the book, but the author-- a medical doctor--said to avoid insulin spikes when eating simple carbohydrates, eat them with protein, fat, fiber or vinegar.

That’s all for now. I’ll still be gone several more days for fall break. “See” you later.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.