" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 1, 2008

Autumn Soup: Cheap, Tasty, Nourishing, Fast

Have you heard of Stone Soup? I always thought that was such a good story. And the resulting soup was simple and quite humble. That's what I feel about my Autumn Soup. It's a humble soup and that alone makes it, I think, taste better. In fact, by volume, water is probably the largest single ingredient in Autumn Soup.

My Autumn Soup, as I've named it because of its color, was inspired by a native American dish I ate recently at an Indian Pow Wow. My husband's grandmother was Cherokee so we have an interest in such.

At the Pow Wow the dish was served with Indian fry bread. I used to make fry bread when "fat" was not an issue. Not wanting to bother with it I served our soup with Delimex Chicken Taquitos (I read about these on Back to the Fridge--let me warn you--they could be addicting--I thought they were incredible taste wise) and some home made guacamole for dipping. Avocados are a good fat-- a 2 T. serving won't do much damage--and I had a very ripe avocado that needed using.

Here are the soup ingredients:
  • diced onion (approx. 1/4 cup)
  • diced green bell pepper (approx. 1/4 cup)
  • diced jalapeno pepper (to taste--I used a tablespoon)
  • 8 ounces of ground turkey, chicken or pork
  • 4 small, 3 medium or 2 large potatoes, cubed
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 can petite diced tomatoes
  • lots of water, plus chicken bouillon for flavor if you like (I did)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chili seasoning powder to taste
  • cumin powder to taste

Method:

Using non-stick spray or one tablespoon of oil saute the onions and peppers. When softened add the ground meat and break up, frying until well browned. This is important--it gives it more flavor when the meat is well browned. It may take some time because the meat will yield a lot of water and will need to dry up before it begins to brown--so be patient.

When the meat is brown add the can of tomatoes (don't drain), the potatoes and the corn...and at least enough water to cover . Adjust the amount of water--if you want it thick, use less, thinner, use more--for a humble soup you must use more--thickness, I think, indicates, opulence--and Autumn Soup is a humble soup. Bring to a boil and simmer until the potatoes are nice and tender and the spices have had a chance to cook into the meat and veg.

After dipping it up into our serving bowls we added some hot sauce to spice it up more.

The night we ate this I had a couple of bananas that needed eating and not wanting to make banana bread I came up with this--there's no real recipe, just a method:

I sliced two bananas; sprinkled them with cinnamon, then tossed them with a heaping half cup of fat free Cool Whip. When this was mixed together, I sprinkled the top with some flax meal. Then I melted a tablespoon of peanut butter in the microwave and drizzled it over the top. My husband, who is not a big fan of bananas scarfed this down. I enjoyed it too.

If you don't keep flax meal on hand you could sprinkle it with a crumbled cookie or cake...it doesn't take much--I used a heaping teaspoon of flax meal to give you an idea.

Again I warn you--if you get the Delimex chicken taquitos watch out!! I was totally surprised at how good they tasted. So often frozen foods are just o.k. These were more than o.k. Use portion control and you'll be fine.

Note: Delimex products are available at Kroger's and Walmart in my area. If you go to their website they give a full listing. I purchased mine at Walmart in the freezer section. However they weren't with the frozen Mexican foods, but in a case with bulk frozen prepared foods, like egg rolls and precooked chicken tenders. You may have to hunt to find them. They will definitely be part of any future party fare we serve.

"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.