" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

October 8, 2008

Apple Muffins for Fall Break

We're going to be taking several days off for fall vacation so I'm taking another break. I'll be reading your blogs though as I have time.

I leave you with this recipe for apple cake muffins. It's one of my favorites.

Combine dry ingredients:
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or all purpose)
  • 1/2 cup sugar (the original recipe calls for one cup)
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix to combine, then stir in 1 cup fresh chopped peeled apples, 1/4 cup walnuts and 1/4 cup chopped raisins.

Combine wet ingredients:

  • 1 egg
  • 2 tablespoons applesauce
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 teaspoons molasses
Mix well to incorporate all .

Now combine the wet and dry ingredients until well blended.

Bake in cupcake muffin tins. If you don't use paper liners you'll need to grease the tins.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until they test done (a toothpick stuck in the center should come out clean).

Be careful not to over bake . These are a dense muffin. Enjoy with an afternoon cuppa.
***************
Notes: If you use paper liners let the muffins cool thoroughly or they will stick to the paper. And don't skip the extra step of chopping the raisins. You'll get more chewy raisin goodness in every bite if you chop the raisins.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.