" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 19, 2008

Slowing Down May Speed Things Up!

At the beach we'd gone out to eat--the whole family, which included my husband, both my children and their spouses. It was a special occasion and a very nice restaurant...one with linen tablecloths and heavy flatware, plus candlelight..on the beach under a gazebo.

I was especially hungry and knew from experience that unlike fast food this would be slow food...which is much nicer to share with family or friends. The waiter brought us menus and hot crusty bread with olive oil for dipping.

As I perused the menu I ate some of that delicious bread. After 3 smallish slices and about a tablespoon of oil I decided I'd quit, wanting to leave room for the main meal. When the waiter finally came to take our order a surprising thing happened-- I realized I was no longer hungry!

Whoops--I thought--not good.....I hadn't even ordered my meal yet. I was looking forward to the meal, but in light of the situation, I decided to order two appetizers instead of an entree (a small salad which included roasted beets, pecans and blue cheese on a bed of field greens and 2 giant grilled scallops accompanied by some roasted asparagus on a bed of grilled greens). The food was delicious and I didn't stuff myself.

Evidently my forced wait allowed my brain time to get the message from my stomach that I'd eaten and signaled that I was full. The fat I'd eaten (the olive oil) affects the leptin which is the hormone responsible for indicating fullness.

That being the case, it behooves us to eat some fat and to eat slowly--pausing if necessary. At the end of 20 minutes we should have a better idea if we're full, or not, in our stomach. This practice may not always be feasible, but when it is, it's a good one to follow.

It seems to me that our busy lifestyles, which necessitate quick eating all too often, correlate with the increasing girth of America. It may be, in part, responsible. Speed certainly contributes to mindless eating--we shovel it in without really even tasting it, let alone enjoying it.

So for our healths sake--and our waist--let's practice the 20 minute rule as often as possible. Slowing down may actually speed up our weight loss!
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.