" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

August 8, 2008

Off Again For Vacation


I off again on vacation and won't be posting for about 10 days. I leave you with this photo of me taken in 1956. Look at what a skinny little girl I was. That's my mom on the left holding my brother.

We were en route from Kansas to Stockton, California. Daddy was taking the picture. We had reached the Continental Divide.

Isn't it interesting that mom and I were both wearing dresses?

Let me tell you--I remember that trip. It was not easy.
Those mountain highways were treacherous....one lane each direction, both very narrow, with barely a shoulder should you need to pull over. And the drop offs--terrifying. I remember hunkering down on the floorboard of the car and hiding my face.

Poor mom---doing all the driving and caring for a babe born in June that year. Daddy was ahead of us pulling our 45ft trailer with his pick up. I recall mom wanting to be in front of dad going up the mountain for fear the hitch would give way and roll back on us. Today, we have superhighways which are nice and wide with steel guards should you lose control and leave the road.


"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.