" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

July 11, 2008

The Paradox

You tell me I can’t do something, and immediately my response is “just watch me”. I may not say it aloud, but I’ll think it for certain. That is pretty much the nature of mankind.

New Years 2007 I banished the "food police" and gave myself permission to eat the “forbidden foods” --like hot dogs. And guess what? They lost their appeal. Actually, hot dogs don’t taste very good to me--not like I’d remembered them (when I wasn’t allowing myself to eat, or at least enjoy eating, them).

Fast forward to the present. Having read the book Intuitive Eating I decided to give myself permission to eat when I was hungry and use physiological fullness as the stopping point instead of calorie restriction.

The result? I’m not hungry all the time. I’m not eating more than I did previously…in many cases I’m eating less. What happened to that constant hunger?

My assumption is that in large part it was driven by emotion…desire---wanting what I wasn’t supposed to have…wanting to satisfy my appetite--my hunger-- and not being allowed to do so…all which served to keep me from being filled and kept me in a constant state of hunger.

Will this last? I don‘t know. But I hope so. Having restricted myself, or having the thinking that I must restrict myself, has been a part of my psyche for so long, that I still at times must work to overcome that thinking, to rid myself of that mentality. I find the minute that old thinking creeps back in, I desire more food.

I‘ll keep you posted on how I‘m faring with the Intuitive Eating way of life. I haven‘t regained any of the 15 pounds I‘ve lost after following IE for about 10 days now…we‘ll see if I continue to lose.

In the meantime it feels so good…as if another burden has been lifted. And it feels like I can get on with the rest of my life…focusing on things besides food--what I‘ll eat, when I‘ll eat, where I‘ll eat, how much I‘ll eat… (need I say more?).
********************************************
For another blogger's review of Intuitive Eating go here....
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.