" For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land. " Song of Solomon

April 1, 2008

Mindful Feeding

All to often we feed our desires, so if we can change what we desire, perhaps we will feed differently.

I've been reading lots of vegetarian blogs (which include photographs of what the author is eating) and guess what I've been desiring?....lots of fruits and veggies!!!

I see them...I want them.

If I see decadent desserts loaded with fat and sugar or heaping plates of crispy fried chicken and sumptuous biscuits---guess what I'm led to eat? You got it....chicken and biscuits. That is why I don't dare watch Paula Dean on TV.

What might we learn here? We will tend to behave in correlation to our thinking.

Perhaps we can "hypnotise" ourselves and change our behavior by viewing that which will aid and assist us in our effort. We can practice a little mind control by being mindful of what we allow into our brain.

Mindful eating, I conclude, begins long before we take the first bite.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Having read so many vegetarian food blogs and being a veggie lover I purchased a vegan cookbook--Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. Mind you, I'm not a vegan or even vegetarian, but I'm always looking for ideas and ways to get more veggies into my diet.

Today I had a vegetarian taco. I got the idea from ED&BV. I don't have a recipe, but here is a general description.

In a saute pan with a teaspoon of coconut oil I sauteed some broccolini, portabello mushrooms, corn and added a leftover garbanzo bean salad which contained red onions, red bell pepper and fresh spinach. I seasoned the mixture with some chili powder and salt and pepper. I placed it on a multi-grain tortilla and topped it with a slice of white American cheese which I nuked just long enough to melt the cheese.

This "meal"---it was a huge taco---contained protein, lots of fiber, and lots of veggies. And it tasted so good. I also had a large navel orange as part of my meal.

We need to make an effort to think outside the box. I remember eating my first fish taco at the beach in Florida. It was delicious. When I tell people how wonderful fish tacos are, most respond "yuk".

Don't limit yourself--expose yourself visually to the "good" things which will assist you in your weight loss efforts and soon you'll discover you will be desiring those very things.
"....there have been many times when I have shed bitter tears, when if I had understood the situation better, I would have celebrated my good luck instead."

DISCLAIMER

I am not a doctor and all information, suggestions, etc are my personal opinion only.